Continuing with my quest to further develop my taste for beets, I decided to give grilling a try. This technique retained the crisp quality of the vegetable while enhancing it's sweet flavor. Incorporating them into a taco meant that I would have another appetizer option for summer entertaining.
Grilled Beet Tacos
By Inspired by the Seasons
- 2/3 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Green Onion, finely minced
- 1 pinch Salt
For the Taco:
- 4 Medium Sized Beets, Peeled and sliced into 1/2" slices
- Greens from beets, cut into 1/2 strips
- 2 Ears of Corn
- 1 Greens from Beets, sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup Queso Fresca Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 4 Small corn tortillas
For the sauce - combine all ingredients in a small bowl, refrigerate for 1 hour
Peel and slice beets about 1/2" wide, toss with oil. Grill beets 4 minutes each side. Grill corn 6 minutes, turn and grill on other side for an additional 6 minutes.
After corn is cooked, remove husk and cut off kernels.
Assemble tacos - Beet greens first, then beets, next the corn and cheese and top with sauce.