Soup was the most requested type of recipe requested from my readers recently. This uses blended chickpeas as it's base and includes my favorite Mediterranean flavors of lemon, feta cheese, spinach and rosemary.
Chickpea & Rosemary Soup
By Inspired by the Seasons
- 2 cans of chickpeas or 4 cups of cooked
- 1 c chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 c vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 c cooked whole grains, like farro, brown rice or barley
- 1 c fresh spinach, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 c sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 c feta cheese, crumbled
In a 4 quart pot heat the oil until shimmering and add the onions and garlic, cook for 10 minutes. Add chickpeas and pepper flakes and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and rosemary. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove rosemary and either blend with a stick blender or transfer to a blender and return to pan.
Add 1/4 c of cooked grains to the bottom of each bowl. Add spinach to soup and cook 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and ladle into bowls. Top with feta and almonds.